Re: [Evolution] wish-list (MS-Exchange support != MAPI support)

On Sun May 21, 2000 at 09:39:21AM -0700, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

I think that there's a fair bit of demand for MS Exchange MAPI support, but
I think that the demand for finishing the UI and the backends for storing
local mail are just a wee bit more.  I'd suspect that there won't be a lot
of MAPI work until Evolution gets to be at least useable for local mail.  I
run VMware just so that I can get at my mail through Outlook 2000, stored on
an Exchange server.
      Greg

Actually, MAPI is only one of the APIs MS provides for accessing 'the messaging subsystem'. It's not the only
one, nor is Exchange the only mail server support it. While MAPI is the API, the actual 'on-the-wire' format
is not MAPI, but the result of some exchange-library on your system translating MAPI calls into the
'on-the-wire' format and vice versa.

Unfortunately, while MAPI is documented pretty well, the on-the-wire format is not widely available (AFAIK).
The short-term solution is to convince you sysadmin to install IMAP support for Exchange to be able to access
it...

Cheers,
        Dirk-Jan.