Re: [Evolution] Filing system

On Fri, 12 May 2000, NotZed wrote:

What would probably be more constructive, is how do people think
the interface to such a system would work?  Sure, you have some
mechanism (again, the details are important, but irrelevant in
terms of the implementation) to define some search pattern to
apply to your folders, and that gives you back a result - what
happens if you delete a message (it deletes it from the source
folder?)  What happens if there are duplicate messages in different
folders returned by the same query?  What happens when you drag
a message from one vfolder into another?

 Michael

Some initial thoughts:

o Deletion of message -> marks message for deletion, but does not expunge
    it. (analogous to IMAP).  vFolders should not be able to expunge messages;
    they are merely views of a mailbox.  Expunging should be an
    operator for a mailbox (so you can see the context the messages
    are in before you delete them forever)
o duplicate messages -> let there be duplicates, unless the messages
  have the same message id + length then indicate there are multiple copies.
o dragging
        vFolder -> Folder ok
        Folder -> vFolder not ok [1]
        Folder -> Folder ok

        [1] maybe spring some dialog up, etc, etc about the vFolder,
                eg widening of defintion [2]
        [2] Hashing out the semantics of vFolders first is perhaps
            a better.  I'm currently thinking of vFolders somewhere
            along the lines of PINEs select and zoom across multiple
            mailboxes, although I can see that there is more to it
            than that.
o this may be an opportunity for a non-programmer to make a contribution
  to evolution -> writing up a list of test cases, scenarios, etc for
  evolution and it's vFolder implementation

Yours
Mark
PS.  Hi to another .au person who's working on gnome!
--
Mark Tearle - mtearle tartarus uwa edu au

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
                                                       -- Oscar Wilde