[Evolution] CLI in the GUI

Reading Radagasts article on advogato made me think of an interface idea
that I've had for some time now that would likely be handy for the majority
of GUI apps.

Many Unix users desire the efficiency of the CLI, whereas a GUI often has a
much shallower learning curve.  Thus I propose the following...

A widget that is the equivalent to the command line, where one enters
commands in it just as any other command line interface.  It could be
invoked by a key combination and just hover at the bottom of the screen, and
probably only be one or two lines tall (just as the input box for IRC
clients...).  It would lose focus or disappear by another key combination
(for those tasks with which the GUI is more efficient...).   It would likely
not be out by default, but if it were a consistent command to invoke it, it
would likely be adopted by many projects, and used by many powerusers.

What do you think?

Tom M.
TomM pentstar com