[Evolution] SSL Options

[Evoluion],

Some time ago I wrote a note to the Evolution mailing list encouraging
the inclusion of in-line support for SSL. Unfortunately, the OpenSSL
code appears under a BSD-style license (which is incompatible with the
GPL). I am unsure about the status of Netscape's SSL code (portions of
Mozilla are being released under GPL).

It seems to me that this is a rather important feature, insofar as it
may drastically effect the size of the ultimate userbase for
Evolution. (Of course, one can always set up (exterior) tunneling with
stunnel & OpenSSL, I suppose, but this is hardly something we can
fairly expect of novice users.)

If no available code can be used for the problem, it has to be
written. I'm considering lining up some graduate students here at
UCONN for the job, but want to make certain that it needs to be
done. I am not an expert on licensing issues; some questions:

1. Can -openssl-path and -openssllibpath be provided as compilation
options to Evolution, placing the burden of linking to this
BSD-licensed code on the (compiling) user?

2. Is anyone familiar enough with the Mozilla GPL selection to know if
SSL code is included? If so, can it be reused?

3. Are there other options?

Alexander Russell, acr cse uconn edu
University of Connecticut