Re: [Evolution] Re: [Evolution-hackers] Feature request list orga

I'm probaly going to regret this, but this list is getting
a bit out of hand so i'll add some comments.

It is a bit out of hand, but you fail to take a few things into account,
especially as you get to the end.  I'll try to limit this to corrections as
much as possible.

Well sorry for even breathing.

Feature: Server Based email filtering
other criteria =
(IE scripts, executables, images, etc.) at the server
Requested by: Aaron Kemp [kempa kwic com]

Only a few servers support filtering at the server end.

That doesn't make it an invalid feature, unless this is a list for 1.0.

It might make it a nearly useless feature though.

The fact messages are crossed ou tand not removed from view is
a different matter entirely (and consistent with the rest of
the interface currently).

That doesn't mean that it should keep things crossed out as deleted.  I find
that a hideous metafor.  When I delete something, I don't want to see it
anymore.

Oh go read it, the fact messages are crossed out is a different interface
feature from that part of the feature list, whch was to do
with vfolders specifically, for which deletion is working already.

Anyway, for what its worth i much prefer the current behaviour,
so am i wrong?

Feature: Printing Emails  [This is more of a bug/major
standard expected =
functionality..., and probably shouldn't go on this list]
Requested by: Misty Linville [misty cybersource com]

Yes remove this :)

I'm assuming that means that printing will be supported at some point, but
that's not really clear.

Shall i spell it out to you?

tomm pentstar com, TomM Pentstar com) and query if they
should all be =
associated with the same contact and recognized as equivalent.
Requested by: Tom Musgrove [TomM pentstar com]

email addresses are case insensitive anyway, so it would be a bug
if they weren't recognized as equivalent.

Nope, the host/domain portion of email addresses are case insensitive.  The
user ID is case sensitive, but there are only like 3 sites on the planet
configured that way.  However  GLeBlaNc cu-portland edu and
gleblanc cu-portland edu could be different people.  If you're going to try
to merge based on email addresses, be sure to ask before you go and merge
two things that aren't the same.

Groan.

Feature: Duplicate/Smart contact recognition
Musgrove, Tom M. Musgrove, Tom M.) and query if the email
addresses, and =
other contact information should be merged to a single contact.  =20
Requested by: Tom Musgrove [TomM pentstar com]

Hmm, that looks like something mentioned above ...

Similar, except that this is dealing with the contact's name, and not the
email address, I think.

Same bloody differnce,.

Feature: Menu Improvement  [Perhaps this is more of an
'interface bug'? =
as opposed to feature?]
not "Tools".
Requested by: Aaron Weber [aaron helixcode com]

Yes remove this as well.

Again, does that mean that this is a bug, or something that isn't important
enough to get done?

Hmm, lets just read it again shall we?

Moving a menu item is hardly a new feature.

Feature: 'Smart' autocompletion of email addresses
autocomplete at the first difference, or 'the most frequent used =
address'...]
Requested by: Jeffrey Stedfast [fejj stampede org]; Gregory
Leblanc =
[GLeblanc cu portland edu]

That would suck.

Autocompletion of email addresses is something that I expect from ANY decent
mail client.  Every groupware client out there has this already, I cannot
come up with ANY reason not to support it in Evolution.  Can you elaborate
on "That would suck" please?

I find it incredibly annoying in every appliaciton that uses it.

(ie, excel, etc)

Feature: User level settings
available =
based upon the user level, thus dialog boxes for power users  will =
immediately show the numerous configurable options, where as less =
sophisticated users will be presented with a simpler choice
that is set =
with intelligent defaults.  Allowing the more complex
choices to be =
accessed via another menu selection. [I would suggest
implementing this =
via a box that drops down below the standard dialog/option
window when =
the user hits a widget (the triangle arrow widget that
rotates from =
sideways to down seems to work really well for this...)]
Requested by: Miguel de Icaza [miguel helixcode com]

Now that is REALLY awful.

I'm not sure I agree with Miguel's suggested implementation, but hiding some
settings from users is probably a good option to have.  These things sound
really awful for people who use almost all of the functionality offered, but
those who do are few and far between.  This is part of GNOME, is it not?
"The GNOME project has built a complete free and easy-to-use desktop
environment for the user, as well as a powerful application framework for
the software developer."  Easy to use can include not seeing the things that
one is never going to use.

Its basically impossible to implement.

Feature: Multicopy/paste
be stored to =
multiple copying buffers, so that changing be between
documents numerous =
times is not required (this would be more appropriate for
Gnome itself, =
as opposed to application specific...)
Requested by: Tom Musgrove [TomM pentstar com]

Doesn't sound practical.

Depends, what do you mean practical?  If you mean it doesn't sound like a
useful feature, then that only applies to you, not to the rest of us.  I'd
love to have a functional copy and paste that could handle multiple entries.

The copying and pasting functionality offered with X is REALLY REALLY poor,
although not much more so than with MS Windows.  I don't know that there is
any way to fix this without re-designing X, so it probably won't happen.

I mean you can't implement it iwht a practial amount of resources
and time.

Speaking of which i think i've wasted enough on this already.