[Evolution] Re: [HC Gene-pool] Calendar status report

Federico Mena Quintero wrote:

Miguel told me that Damon was having trouble compiling the whole of
Evolution; Damon, if this is true, please tell me and I'll be
delighted to give you a hand.  I just rebuilt my whole tree today, and
it seems to work fine.

It's OK. I've got it going now.

Damon, I need you to tell me if some new calendar view widgets can be
integrated into the main GUI.

I've just about got the Week & Month views ready to add in.
(They don't support resizing and dragging events yet but I'll do
that later.)

I was looking at Outlook a bit, and I think I am going to zorch the
notebook that holds all the views.  Instead we'll have toolbar buttons
that let the user switch between views, which actually are just
different ranges of time that get displayed by the e-day-view or the
upcoming (?) month view.  Outlook's scheme actually makes a lot of
sense, since it lets the user select precisely the range of time he
wants to see, instead of constraining it to days/weeks/months/years.

I wanted to do that as well. The Day, Work-Week & Week views can
all have the GtkCalendar and ToDo list on the right (as in Outlook).
So I think we should use 2 notebooks, without tabs. The main notebook contains
2 pages - on one page is the Month view, and on the other is the GtkCalendar
and ToDo list next to the second notebook. The second notebook contains the
Day, Work-Week & Week views.

There is another subtlety when you switch between views.  Right now in
Gnomecal it is a mess, because each view has its own concept of the
"currently shown time".  When you switch views, it can be confusing to
just what time you switched to.  I.e. When you switch from the month
view to the day view, what day should be displayed?

Outlook solves this by having a cursor in all the views.  The cursor
determines the current time.  For example, you can move in the month
view across days with this cursor.  If you switch to the day view, the
cursor's day will be shown.  This is very nice to work with.

Yes, I was thinking about this yesterday. I'll do it if you want.

It would be very nice if all the calendar hackers could send in a
little status report to see what everyone is up to.

I think I've covered this. I've almost done the Week & Month views.

I'm willing to do any/all of these:

 o integrate all the new views into the calendar.
 o add the toolbar buttons to switch views, and rearrange the widgets etc.
 o add support for a 'current time' to all views.
 o make all views reload events lazily, i.e. only when they are visible.

Let me know which ones I should go ahead with.

Are we keeping the Year View? I can look into speeding that up if you like.
(I'm not sure why it is so slow displaying & resizing.)

Damon