[Evolution-hackers] Using EDS backend for other remote providers

I've been working on Task Widget extension for GNOME (written in GJS) which relies on EDS backend. Methods provided by EDS (like using S-expressions to query ICal components) are very convenient and I'm curious if it's at all possible to use the provided API for new online providers, e.g. Todoist, without directly messing with EDS source code.

Acquiring data from Todoist and converting it back and forth to ICal/Todoist format seems trivial. However, things get more complicated when you need to store that data in EDS, create new ESources, refresh backends, watch for changes, etc. Also, this might raise compatibility issues with Evolution and other task managers.

Basically, I'm just looking for some guidance here whether it's doable and generally a good idea.

Thanks!