Re: [Evolution-hackers] Introspection enablement for libecal - huge changes needed?

On Wed, 2014-05-14 at 15:34 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
Because of this earthquake, I would like to hear from others their
opinion. Maybe we overlooked some option in introspection (there is
preferred to create introspection based on code annotations, not to
define them by hand), but I'm afraid the most of the projects like
SyncEvolution, whether it'll be able to handle such change gracefully.
I'd appreciate any opinion on the subject.

I think a fully introspectable calendaring API based on libical could be
valuable in a wider context than just for Evolution-Data-Server.

I suggest doing this as a stand-alone library -- libical-glib perhaps --
so it could be developed and tested independently of EDS.  Then when the
library reaches a sufficiently complete and well-tested stage, we could
begin porting Evolution and EDS to it on branches, and make a lot of
public noise about the imminent changes, and offer assistance to known
EDS clients like GNOME Shell and Yorba's California project.  Not unlike
what we did with the massive libedataserver changes a couple years ago.

That might not leave much left for libecal apart from ECalClient and
maybe some EDS-specific utilities, but I don't think that's necessarily
a bad thing.

Matt