Re: [Evolution-hackers] [Fwd: A Major Problem - Losing Evolution Archive]

On Wed, 2014-05-14 at 10:50 +0430, Akhtari, Golyad wrote:
I tried "Backup evolution settings" from file menu - evolution 3.8.3 -
and restored the data to a new computer/evolution which contained my
manually categorized folders, after restoring I found out that my
archived folders which were moved manually to the local (on this
computer) are lost. It seem the new backup was overwritten and my
previous archives and sent items are gone.

What I want to know is that is there any way that I can retrieve my
old data?

        Hello,
the evolution-list is more suitable for such question, because it is
used by users, not (mainly) by coders. I can answer the question too.

The Backup settings function is meant to create a snapshot of your
evolution. Restoring the backup means that the evolution gets back to
the state when the snapshot had been created, which also means that
whatever you did before restore (and after the backup create) is
completely lost after the restore. It's not a bug, it's an intended
behavior.

Maybe the restore should "backup" files, instead of deleting them, but
as long as it cannot do it for settings as well, the behavior would be
unexpected, or seem incomplete this way.
        Bye,
        Milan