Re: [Evolution-hackers] Sieve application for filtering mail [was: Re: Evolution custom email message]

On Thu, 2014-03-27 at 08:11 -0400, Matthew Barnes wrote:
Integrating Sieve filtering into Evolution is going to take an enormous
effort, way outside the scope of a reasonable student project.  But I
thought maybe it could be broken down into more manageable chunks.

FYI, in case you want to look at some working code; the Horde suite [a
set of web applications] has a mail-filter front-end named Ingo that has
very good SIEVE support.
<https://github.com/horde/horde/tree/master/ingo/lib/Script/Sieve>

Once this phase of the project is working, the next phases will be to
write a Sieve language parser and then build a graphical editing tool
for Sieve scripts, which will utilize the ManageSieve client you'll be
writing.  I don't know how long each phase will take through, so those
may be projects for other students.

Wow. I have to say I have *never* seen a UI that parsed SIEVE.  Every
interface I have seen lets you create mail filter rules and `compiles`
them into SIEVE.  Personally I wouldn't view *reading* SIEVE to be all
that critical;  I would just like to be able to set my rules and have
them compiled and activated on the server.

If you are looking for a lexer/parser there is one implemented in C
inside Cyrus IMAP's timsieved server - it parses and compiles the SIEVE
scripts to byte-code when a user uploads/activates a script.
<http://git.cyrusimap.org/cyrus-imapd/tree/timsieved>

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam whitemice org> GPG D95ED383