Re: [Evolution-hackers] Regarding addressbook migration test case

On Mon, 2013-10-21 at 13:30 -0400, Matthew Barnes wrote:
On Mon, 2013-10-21 at 18:27 +0200, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:
The maintenance in question is pretty simple, every
stable release (directly after branching for the next
stable release would be the ideal time) a new case
needs to be added to the addressbook migration test.

I really appreciate this.  Perhaps it could serve as a template for
other kinds of migration testing in the future.  The mbox -> Maildir
migration back in 3.0 would have been less problematic with something
like this.

To clarify: New test cases are only *really* needed when the database
format changes, right?  A test-case-per-version policy is more about
maintainers can't be trusted to update tests when needed.

Not offended, in fact I agree.  Just want to make sure I have the
rationale straight.

Indeed, adding a new case is only really needed when the
format changes.

The idea was about targeting stable releases with the
tests, as opposed to testing for any incremental
change which might occur in an unstable cycle (admittedly
some stable releases have no schema change at all,
but this is not harmful and I guess it's easiest to
just routinely add a test as part of a stable release).

The policy is not exactly set in stone, though ;-)

I've tried to make this as painless as possible,
in order to add a new release to the list of tested
stable releases, one needs to do the following:

  cd ~/path/to/evolution-data-server
  make -C tests/book-migration setup-migration
  git add tests/book-migration/db/3.12/contacts.db
  gedit tests/book-migration/db/3.12/Makefile
        (add contacts.db to EXTRA_DIST)

For reference, you can see this commit[1] which adds
EDS 3.10 to the list of releases to test.

Looks easy enough.

Best place for these extra steps would be:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/ReleaseHOWTO

Would you mind writing up a new section there (or I can), maybe after
"Post-Release Updates"?

Perfect, sure I'll be happy to add my notes to
the wiki.

Cheers,
    -Tristan