Re: [Evolution-hackers] Backporting EWS GAL changes to 3.8

On Thu, 2013-05-30 at 11:56 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
We had a local copy of the LZX decompression code, taken from libmspack
and then hacked up somewhat to support the variant that the EWS GAL
uses. I cleaned up that code and got it accepted into upstream
libmspack, and libmspack 0.4 has been released a week or two ago.

As part of that process, the libmspack maintainer spotted a number of
bugs in our changes. These have all been fixed in the 0.4 release.

I've fixed the build in master so that we either need to build with
libmspack 0.4 as an additional dependency (recommended), or use a
configure option to build with our internal version of the decompression
code instead. If you configure without an appropriate libmspack, the
resulting error will tell you about the --with-internal-lzx option.

That's the right way.

A two week-old release is far too new for a stable branch dependency,
especially one we're introducing mid-stream.  It needs to be optional
for now, but at the same time we do want packagers to be aware of it.
Aborting the configure script by default with a workaround message if
libmspack 0.4 is not present accomplishes that.

We're giving special attention to the stable release this cycle, so I'm
willing to bend the rules a bit.

+1 from me.

I think we could remove the internal lzx copy as early as 3.11.

Matt