[Evolution-hackers] Plan to support and use vCard 4.0 (RFC 6350) in evolution-data-server

        Hello all,
there was a little discussion about vCard 4.0, aka [RFC6350], which
adds, among other things, a valuable KIND attribute, which is used to
differentiate what the vCard is for. That would get rid of the
evolution's X-EVOLUTION-LIST attribute, and maybe more. Here's a list of
changes between 3.0 and 4.0 vCard [2]. The RFC is not that old yet, it's
only from August 2011, but I guess it's not a problem.

I'd like to know from others their opinion, whether it would be
appreciated to switch to vCard 4.0 by default in evolution
(-data-server). The plan is to keep backward compatibility with 3.0,
even be able to save in 3.0 format (probably by some combo in a save
dialog to pick the format user prefers), but otherwise switch internally
into vCard 4.0. That way specialized editors could be created (as you
know, there are currently only two, one for general contact, the other
for contact list; maybe it'll make sense to introduce new contact editor
for organization, room, and so on).

I also do not know how will other programs work, when user would try to
import a 4.0 vCard, while the program only knows 3.0. I believe the
reading should not be strict on versions, the version only gives a
"hint" what the card can, and what it should not, contain, right?

As I'm at an evaluation phase currently (not that I would work on this
myself [3]), there would be quite some work involved, thus I'm asking
beforehand for wider audience's opinion. [4]

        Thanks and bye,
        Milan

[RFC6350] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6350
[2] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6350#appendix-A
[3] Fidencio did detailed reading of the RFC and has the best overview
    of it currently, and he also indicated a will to work on this
[4] I think at least of Ross Burton and Patrick Ohly, because they are,
    from my point of view and poor memory, the people with most past
    experience in address book code and related things.