Re: [Evolution-hackers] Distinguish interactive and non-interactive EClient-s

Hey Milan,

Milan Crha <mcrha redhat com> wrote:
A demand at [1] is to not expose user prompts, either for a password, or
when a server's SSL certificate needs attention (and we might find more
usages, like for any user-invoked synchronization activities, which is
not in sources yet, but it may be added one day). The request in [1] is
to not do the user prompts when for example the gnome-shell's calendar
server tries to open a calendar, but an error should be indicated to a
user in gnome-shell and once he/she opens an interactive client the user
prompt will be shown. The interactive client can be evolution itself,
but also any other client which will advertise itself as interactive,
which can include gnome-shell's calendar server as a re-try to open
after user clicks any hypothetical button in the clock's UI. It's to
avoid spontaneous user prompts after login.

It's just a rough summary of the [1], as I understand it.

One might also consider issues like:
a) if evolution will manage the user prompts, how will the gnome-shell's
   calendar notice the change and will be able to reopen the calendar
b) the gnome-shell's calendar re-try on a button click may open in the
   interactive mode, but then should turn back into non-interactive mode
c) because the factory reuses one backend for each client connected to
   it, then it should also extend its tracking structure to remember
   whether the opened mode is interactive or not.

The idea is that we would warn the user about the state of the online
account in the applications rather than through a modal dialog. In
Documents, we would show something like this, for example:

https://raw.github.com/gnome-design-team/gnome-mockups/master/documents/documents-notifications.png

One major goal here is to ensure that modal system dialogs only ever
appear in response to a direct user action. They shouldn't pop up out
of nowhere.

For the GNOME Shell Calendar, I would be tempted to place a small,
non-interactive, warning close to the Open Calendar button when
authentication has failed.

Allan
--
IRC:  aday on irc.gnome.org