Re: [Evolution-hackers] Any experience with GCC code coverage (gcov) for Evolution

Dear Vadim,

thank you for your answer.

Am Mittwoch, den 16.01.2013, 11:26 +0100 schrieb Vadim Rutkovsky:

> Use ./autogen.sh --enable-code-coverage.

Yes, did not have time to try it yet.

> We are actively using this for tests, I might share some details on this
> if you want to.

That would be very interesting as Evolution 3.4.4 is sometimes quite
slow with several thousands messages and maybe some bottlenecks could be
identified and taken care of by using that analysis.

Looking at the commit log, I do not see any commits improving things by
using/mentioning code coverage, so I made the assumption it is not used.

        $ git log -i --grep=coverage origin/master
        455f368e58088f968d13e24441a6963d6c0f9fbe Use code coverage macros from gnome-common.
        e7d2d2268ceb0bc194a1ac0dbd399a2c5780a82e do not hardcode -lgcov
        3bc3fa26e53895b14eadabe2ed617e67e18fab96 build: Add an --enable-code-coverage configure option to enable gcov support
        0cb050a49d7769f1e7e83be5ff72c3d60b9fceff Use ssize_t for proclen so that we can compare it against -1. Fixes a

Hopefully that will change, now that Matthew and Milan get
reinforcements. I hope using gcov is not as cumbersome as Valgrind,
which makes everything slow and in my case corrupts my IMAP mailbox
because it does not close correctly and all messages have to be loaded
again.

Thanks,

Paul