Re: [Evolution-hackers] UI interaction from book/calendar backends

On Thu, 2012-11-22 at 09:13 +0100, Milan Crha wrote:
> the book/calendar backends are currently designed to not have any direct
> UI interaction with user, they basically serve for data only. While it
> works, it has its caveats, like when user tries to access server using
> SSL with self-signed certificate. This should be done like in Camel,
> where user is asked what to do, instead of, currently implemented,
> checkbox in account preferences for "Ignore invalid certificates".
> Another usecase for direct UI interaction is, as xtian suggested some
> time ago, when synchronizing offline data to the server, with discovered
> conflicts. There might be found more usecases for sure.

	Hi,
just a notice that I committed the change to evolution-data-server [1],
a new evolution-user-prompter service. It is not used at the moment,
except of ./tests/libedataserver/e-user-prompter-test , which shows
basic prompts and one extension for Certificate trust prompts, which is
an example of an extension for the prompter. It will be used in the
backends soon, same as the certificate trust will receive a "View
Certificate" functionality. I wanted to push this rather earlier, to
have it part of 3.7.3, and finish other things later. If you run the
test you'll see what it can do. If you feel the basic prompts are weird,
then please blame Gtk+, it's nothing else than their GtkMessageDialog.

All the main code resides in libebackend, check e-user-prompter* files.
The -server is for the server part, the -extension is a base struct for
any extensions, and the e-user-prompter itself is the client side. I
wrote documentation for it too, which, I hope, is written in an
understandable way. The certificate trust extension resides in
modules/trust-prompt, and its longest part is about dialog itself, the
extension has only ~100 sparse lines.
	Enjoy,
	Milan

[1] git.gnome.org/browse/evolution-data-server/commit/?id=ff581ea9040a44