Re: [Evolution-hackers] [evolution-kolab] On porting and extending the plugin

Hi all.

Am Dienstag 13 September 2011, um 15:56:00 schrieb Christian Hilberg:
> The evolution-kolab team is currently planning to port the evolution-kolab
> plugin to the recent developer version of Evo/E-D-S. I have had a discussion
> [...]

In order to get a clearer picture of the changes in Evo and E-D-S since version
2.30, I have been groveling through the list postings in search for major changes
which will affect the porting (and later extending) of evolution-kolab. I have
condensed my findings into a text file which I found might be helpful for others
as well, so I'm posting it here. It is evolution-kolab centric of course, and it
leaves out all changes which do not affect an E-D-S plugin, also it may not be
exhaustive. But hey, you get it free of charge. ;-)

Here it is, have fun:

evolution-kolab - major Evo/EDS changes since 2.30

created:	2011-09-13 Christian Hilberg
changed:	2011-09-14 Christian Hilberg

Camel

"Re: [Evolution-hackers] Camel Manifesto (update)"

Objective:
* Redefinition of CamelOperation
* Rename blocking methods
* Asynchronous Methods (new asynchronous API)
* CamelStream API change

evolution-kolab affected classes:
* KolabMailImapClient
* everything using CamelStreamMem

"[Evolution-hackers] CamelService changes"

Objectives:
* new Camel XDG file system layout
* CamelService, CamelSession API changes

evolution-kolab affected classes:
* CamelKolabSession
* CamelKolabStore
* KolabMailImapClient

"[Evolution-hackers] Rethinking Camel settings"

Objectives:
* introduction of CamelSettings class
* settings propagation through Camel classes
* plans for "binding mail account settings to ESourceExtensions"

evolution-kolab affected classes:
* CamelIMAPX*
* CamelKolab*

Evo / EDS (non-Camel)

"[Evolution-hackers] Rethinking account management"

Objective:
* move from GConf to key files (details key file layout)
* establish ESourceRegistry (monitoring of config changes)
* rewrite of ESource*, API change
* connect backend-discovered sources with account

evolution-kolab affected classes:
* ECalBackendKolab
* EBookBackendKolab

"[Evolution-hackers] Account management and keyrings"

Objective:
* integration of GNOME keyring with the new account management handling
* password handling and storing in ESource / EAccount
* ESource password API for frontend/backend use

evolution-kolab affected classes:
* ECalBackendKolab
* EBookBackendKolab

"[Evolution-hackers] Install E-D-S backends into separate directories?"

Objective:
* separate installation directories for calendar and address book backends
* issues with GTypeModule and backend type registering
* ESource interferences with GTypeModule (and solving strategy)

evolution-kolab affected classes:
* ECalBackendKolab
* EBookBackendKolab

"[Evolution-hackers] Front-end header files for E-D-S libraries"

Objective:
* create toplevel header files for each E-D-S library
* deprecate inclusion of individual lower-level headers

evolution-kolab affected classes:
* potentially all

"[Evolution-hackers] Backend requesting arbitrary user input from frontend"

Objective:
* how to allow backends to ask for user data
* case at hand: user PIN (cannot be stored)
* signaling from backend to frontend to request for data

evolution-kolab affected classes:
* ECalBackendKolab
* EBookBackendKolab
* KolabMailImapClient

"[Evolution-hackers] New 'eclient' branch in eds"

Objective:
* EClient asynchronous API ("following glib/gio async pattern"),
  semantics and implementation
* EClient types
* unified ECalBackend authentication process with that of EBookBackend
* ECredentials (authenication, passwords), interface and implementation
* ESource / EClient overlap issues and API changes
* error handling
* free/busy APIs, ECalView
*

evolution-kolab affected classes:
* ECalBackendKolab
* EBookBackendKolab
* CamelKolabSession

"[Evolution-hackers] Further thoughts on ESources"

Objective:
* D-Bus service for (ESource) key file management and monitoring
* provide a place for groupware plugins to install monitoring modules

evolution-kolab affected classes:
* none so far, important for extending evolution-kolab functionality

"Re: [Evolution-hackers] Moving EExtension to libedataserver"

Objective:
* deriving EBookBackend and ECalBackend from EExtension
* moving EExtension to libebackend
* introduction of EBackend, EBackendFactory, EDataFactory
  ("factor out some of the common pieces of their libedata-book
  and libedata-cal counterparts and serve as abstract base classes")
* API breaks for libebackend, libedata-book, libedata-cal

evolution-kolab affected classes:
* ECalBackendKolab(Factory)
* EBookBackendKolab(Factory)

Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48