Re: [Evolution-hackers] Google Tasks in EDS

On Thu, 2011-09-01 at 08:26 +0100, Ross Burton wrote:
> On 1 September 2011 08:15, Philip Withnall <philip tecnocode co uk> wrote:
> > Any such backend would be best using libgdata to do the protocol-level
> > work, since as you say, Tasks aren't exposed over CalDAV. This will
> > require a new service to be added in libgdata:
>
> As far as I am aware the Tasks API uses a custom JSON protocol[1],
> whereas libgdata implements their "GData" extensions to Atom, which is
> why I was suggesting json-glib+librest.

That's entirely correct. However, I've been thinking about extending
libgdata to support JSON-based services in addition to the ‘normal’
Atom-based services for a little while now; since Google seem to be
moving in that direction. I think it should be possible, and would be a
better approach than writing things from scratch using json-glib. (An
approach which, for example, would end up duplicating the non-trivial
load of authentication code already present in libgdata.)

The code in libgdata should definitely make use of json-glib, though.

Philip