Re: [Evolution-hackers] Move evolution-alarm-notify to E-D-S?

On 18 October 2011 17:52, Matthew Barnes <mbarnes redhat com> wrote:
> Here's a crazy idea...
>
> What do you guys think about moving evolution-alarm-notify to E-D-S as a
> simple D-Bus service?  It could live in the new "services" directory:
>
>    evolution-data-server/services/evolution-alarm-notify/
>
> evolution-alarm-notify is already an autostart program, launched when
> you start your desktop session, well before you ever launch Evolution.
>
> Problem is if it dies for some reason it has to be manually restarted,
> otherwise you'll miss appointment reminders.

Personally I'd prefer it if the logic in evolution-alarm-notify was
cleaned up into a library (I started this, see
https://github.com/rossburton/libealarm, but it needs a lot of work)
and then the GNOME Shell handle the notifications itself.  Currently
the notifications are pretty ugly and don't fit in with GNOME 3 at
all, which is a shame.  e-a-n should probably remain as an example and
for people who want Evolution 3 but not GNOME 3, but ideally won't be
used.

Ross