Re: [Evolution-hackers] GOA Integration (was: New 'eclient' branch in eds)

On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 17:02 +0100, Philip Withnall wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 17:24 -0400, Matthew Barnes wrote:
> > Google Calendars have me stumped, however, since we defer to our
> > standard CalDAV backend which authenticates with stored passwords from
> > the keyring.  I'm not sure how to slip in OAuth integration for this one
> > special case.
>
> Hmm. I guess either the standard CalDAV backend could be modified to use
> OAuth if the domain name matches “google.com” (or whatever); or the
> Google Calendar backend could be resurrected with special authentication
> code, but sharing the CalDAV code with the normal CalDAV backend.

Just to follow up on this...

I wrote a custom SoupAuth class for OAuth.  Instead of calling
soup_auth_authenticate() on it, you would instead call a different
function that takes the consumer key, consumer secret, token and token
secret strings as parameters, which the GNOME Online Accounts API
provides.

Turns out it was all for naught, because I later realized Google's
CalDAV interface currently only supports Basic HTTP authentication.
Haven't seen any indication that OAuth support is forthcoming.

So that kinda sucks; users will still have to enter a password to access
the calendar even if they have a valid access token.  But it does mean
GOA integration in Evolution is pretty much done for now and I can get
back to other priorities.  I'll keep my little SoupAuth class around in
case the situation with Google's CalDAV interface changes.