Re: [Evolution-hackers] "make check" failing in the e-d-s gnome-2-32

Resending since my original reply never made it to the mailing list for
some reason...

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Matthew Barnes <mbarnes redhat com>
To: Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com>
Cc: evolution-hackers gnome org, Tristan Van Berkom
<tristanvb openismus com>
Subject: Re: [Evolution-hackers] "make check" failing in the e-d-s
gnome-2-32
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 09:32:24 -0400

On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 10:10 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> An environment variable can be set easily, for all tests, and maybe for
> individual tests, like so in addressbook/tests/ebook/Makefile.am:
>
> +test_dir_base = "/tmp/ebook-test-yadda/"
> +TESTS_ENVIRONMENT = \
> +       XDG_DATA_HOME=${test_dir_base}
>
> However, the necessary value for XXXXXX can only be known after the test
> has started, right?

You could probably get away with just using a date stamp instead of
random characters for XXXXXX.  The key is really for each address book
to have its own unique ESource ID.  The backend will create a separate
directory per address book under whatever we choose as the base dir.

The tricky part is the D-Bus service is what really needs the custom
XDG_DATA_HOME, since that's where the file backend lives and only it's
supposed to know where the data is really stored.  But unfortunately our
test framework doesn't start the D-Bus service itself -- that's still a
manual step before running the tests.

To really automate the whole thing, the test environment is gonna have
to set up some kind of private D-Bus session and launch the address book
service prior to running the client-side tests, and then clean up after
itself.  I think that's possible but it's a bit beyond my expertise at
the moment.

You can kinda see why I've been dragging my feet about fixing the tests.
Haven't had enough spare cycles to really do it properly.