Re: [Evolution-hackers] [evolution-kolab] towards Upstream-Integration

Hi everyone,

On Thursday 07 July 2011, Matthew Barnes wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-07-01 at 23:33 +0200, Christian Hilberg wrote:
> > The first step could be to create an evolution-kolab git repository at
> >, at least this is what came to my mind instantly. In order to get
> > the prerequisites right, I have applied for a GNOME account with git access.
> > This has been vouched for by the Evolution team (thanks, Matt), and I have
> > received confirmation from the GNOME account management team today.
> >
> > Since neither my kernel concepts evolution-kolab team mates nor myself have
> > done upstream integration for an Evolution plugin yet, I would like to know
> > how we should best proceed from here. If there is any reading we should have
> > done prior to further acting, we'll gladly accept pointers to the relevant
> > documents. David (or anyone else involved there), I heard that you did the
> > same with your EWS team recently, so if there are any lessons-learned which we
> > should heed to, we will also be happy to know. Long story short, we will just
> > be happy for any directing through this process so we can get through it
> > smoothly.
> First of all, welcome to the family!  It's great to have more developers
> supporting new backends for Evolution.

Thanks for the welcome.

Reading through the available documentation and Matt's braindump, a few questions
remained open, so I'll post them here (a) for my own education and (b) for the

> I agree that getting the code into is the first step.
> Chen already pointed you in the right direction:

...this leads to where a list of
prerequisites is presented. I think we do match all of these (see my follow-up
to Chen's mail).

  However, it states there, that "To satisfy these requirements, particularly
number 3, please send us any relevant URLs such as project homepage, list archives, ..."
-- who is "we" in the case of evolution-kolab? The Evolution team? GNOME people?
I'm not sure whom to contact for the paperwork. :)

From there, I took the hop to and found
myself puzzled again. :) Of how much relevance are the details listed there for
an Evolution plugin? Our source is LGPL v2.1+, the user docs and stuff are CC BY-SA
... so, are any details of that copyright stuff applicable to us?

My traceback algorithm next pointed to, where there is much about
"modules", and the following (among other things) was not instantly clear to me:
* Which will be the status for evolution-kolab? Will it be a "module" in
  the sense presented on the ModuleRequirements page?
* We do have UI strings (in EPlugin), but no translation as yet - how about this?

From there, the hop was to
and the following questions arose:
* does evolution-kolab as an Evo plugin need to go through the module proposal
* (from here, loop back to ModuleRequirements and the question whether
  evolution-kolab is a "module" in that sense, if you like... :-)
* is the email to the desktop-devel mailing list needed?
* (from here, loop back to ProjectPrerequisites and the question whom
  to contact for the paperwork in case of evolution-kolab, if you like... :-)
* 3.0 readiness: (void). We're 2.30(.3), porting to 3.x pending. How to
  deal with that?
* Build testing: no jhbuild as yet -- only relevant once a new release from
  within the GNOME git is planned for?
* "Judgement Criteria" ... can I deduce from what is listed there, that evolution-kolab
  is _not_ a module in the sense of ModuleRequirements? I frankly do not know
  what to make out of this stuff in evolution-kolab context... does this fall
  under the "don't care (yet)"-clauses?

> When you're ready to start accepting bug reports, you'll also want to
> get evolution-kolab added to as a new project.  The
> steps for that are here:

Okay with that, should be fine. I guess I should mention the current
(i.e. SourceForge) website in the bug report requesting a tracker for
evolution-kolab? And is there a sensible way to migrate bugs from SF
to bugzilla, or will we need to start anew?

> Assuming evolution-kolab includes translatable strings, you'll want to
> make sure the project is properly set up for localization using gettext
> and intltool.  This is kind of a broad topic, but there's lots of
> documentation about that here:

Hum. We're set up to use intltool/gettext, but no translation has taken place
as yet. Moreover, the release of gnome-2-30 has vanished into history, so I assume
it will be okay to push master from SF-Git to GNOME-Git and start translation
preparations for a later (3.x) release there itself?

> Then when you're ready for the software to start receiving translations,
> file a bug asking for evolution-kolab to be added to "Damned Lies" (the
> translation hub for GNOME projects):

Again, I assume this will take place at a later point, porting to 3.x
coming first, then starting translation stuff?

> [Stuff in between seems fairly clear, will get back to that later on]
> I would also suggest once you've synchronized evolution-kolab's code
> with the latest E-D-S release, that you also synchronize its version
> number (major.minor at least, such as 3.2) so it's easy to keep them
> paired up properly.

I think I'd like to stick with the major.minor.patchlevel scheme, if
possible. Some guidance in choosing proper numbers here will be appreciated.
I'll probably to something like "0.30.3" for the gnome-2-30 branch back
at SourceForge, but a major "0" will not be a good choice for GNOME 3.x
it seems?
> I think this is enough to get you started.

Phew, that's quite some maze you have here. :)

> There's a lot to digest here

Not yet finished devouring...

> and a lot I'm probably taking for granted, but Chen and I are
> happy to try and clarify points or answer questions.

Thanks a lot. We'll be trying our best to comply. I guess a step-by-step
approach will be what I'll try, with some sort of a traceback algo for
error recovery. ;-)

Kind regards,

Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48
D-57072 Siegen