Re: [Evolution-hackers] migration to GSettings

On Tue, 2010-10-26 at 15:43 +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> I was wondering if someone has started working on the migration to
> GSettings, so that I could lend a hand, so anyone?

Yes, I have.  Though so far I've only been nipping around the edges and
making preparations.

This is going to be larger in scope than just migrating to GSettings,
because I also want to redefine how and where we store mail account and
ESource info.  The XML blobs we're still stuffing into GConf ends here.
Instead I'd like to store each account and source as a separate key file
under Evolution's user data directory and use the GSettings key file
backend to access them.

Despite our best efforts to educate users about how to properly backup
or migrate their data and settings, we still to this day see new users
assuming they can just zip up or copy their Evolution data directory.
So rather than keep fighting that assumption, I'd like to make it
actually work that way.

Migrating the simpler GConf keys, however, should be straight-forward
and help with that is welcome.  We have a lot of keys to migrate, and
I'd like to kinda reorganize and clean things up a bit while we're at
it.  Make the key hierarchy flatter, rename some things, reverse the
sense of some booleans, store enum values as strings instead of ints,
etc.