Re: [Evolution-hackers] GSettings Hackfest + Account Storage

On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 15:21 -0500, Matthew Barnes wrote:
> A secondary goal is to find a saner solution for account settings
> storage.  I think there's universal agreement that our XML blobs are an
> abuse of GConf and need to die, but I'm torn on which direction to take.

> One the one hand, GSettings

> On the other hand, users...

But on the third hand, :) GNOME has an increasingly beautiful¹ passwords
and account management interface in the "Passwords and Encryption Keys"
tool provided by Seahorse; my understanding is that the APIs underneath
it are mature too, though I can't speak to that.

Could that store be of any help? Irrespective of the "I want to move
my .evolution with cp" [and isn't that what backup/restore is actually
for?], surely it's better to centralize credential management in the
place that other GNOME apps are using.

AfC
Sydney

¹ beautiful, as defined by the number of apps (today I'm pleased about
Epiphany) storing their username/password credentials there.