Re: [Evolution-hackers] Evo and Kolab2 - a fresh attempt

Hi,

On Mon, 2010-06-07 at 17:31 +0200, Christian Hilberg wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> while the project setup process is going on, I've had a look again at suitable
> testframeworks. Unfortunately, many unit test frameworks for the C language
> appear to be abandoned.
>
> On Wednesday 26 May 2010 at 12:18:04 you wrote:
> > Hi Christian,
> > On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 11:15 +0200, Christian Hilberg wrote:
> > > We'll check that out with other Gnome projects. It may take some more
> > > research on the project itself before we know how to actually accomplish
> > > the testing stuff. My thoughts atm tend towards cunit/expect and/or the
> > > GLib testing framework.
> > 	I think the consensus from 10k feet is something like:
> > 	any unit tests are good ! wow, you have unit tests ? cool !
> > :-) so it is unlikely that anyone is going to come and gripe about your
> > unit testing framework per-se; of course people moan about new
> > dependencies - so re-using the gtestutils.[ch] would be good if it's
> > easy, and of course most preferably hooking it all up to 'make check' is
> > best, as Matthew said.
>
>   Using the GLib framework for testing seemed to be a natural choice, until I
> dug through the mail archives and found that it
>
> (a) is neither nice to set up for projects outside GLib/GTK istelf [1]
>     (latest information I found on the issue dates back from 2008)
> (b) nor is it well-documented and finally
> (c) does not seem to be in wide use outside GTK and GLib itself.

I've used the GLib test framework extensively for one of my projects,
libgdata[1], and it's fine to use outside of the GLib/GTK+ trees.
Several GNOME projects make use of it (more than other test frameworks
in my experience).

The GLib test framework can fork() tests using g_test_trap_fork() and
friends.

Regards,
Philip

[1]: http://live.gnome.org/libgdata