Re: [Evolution-hackers] evolution-kolab: local cache for offline-work

On Friday 09 July 2010 at 18:01:53 chen wrote:
> [...]
> Let me try to summarize some pointers for calendar and you could do the
> same for address-book as well,
> + Create New ECalBackend for Kolab
> + Use the camel apis to fetch the calendar folder
> + Using the CamelFolder, get its contents. You would mime data and you
> can use the Camel libraries again to parse these contents.
> + Convert the Xml calendar data into Ics format and store it into the
> backend

Yeah, this much is clear. There will be a fully-fledged two-way lossless
conversion between EDS data types and Kolab2 data types, and the conversion
will most probably be done on-the-fly (if we run into performance issues here,
we might change plans... :).

> So this helps for displaying the contents. Now with creating
> meetings/appointments. iirc you would need to send them via smtp ?
> + use the camel_transport apis (look through e_cal_backend_save/send
> api's)

Also no worries so far.

Let me be a little more specific (I should have been right away, but my mails
tend to become lengthy...):

* We need to create a local cache for emails which is handled by the plugin
backend(s).

* Does there exist any infrastructure in E-D-S which will help us creating a
local email cache via IMAP?

* Orelse, is there a sensible way to re-use existing caching functionality
inside our backend which comes from Evolution, since Email handling resides
there, presently? Without weaving knots between Evo and E-D-S which will be
prone to failure and unclean, I mean?

> There are many backend implementations already available file, exchange,
> groupwise etc. and you can refer them.. I would recommend looking
> through groupwise/exchange and shoot your questions if any..

I'm in the process of having a closer look at them...

> Since no one has yet tried using camel apis, we do not know if there are
> any issues while you might face. But we should be able to help you while
> you progress..

Okay, thanks.

Once I'M really clear that we have to do these things fully on our own and we
cannot re-use existing infrastructure, I will instantly stop harassing you
with this issue and start working. :-) I just want to avoid reinventing the
wheel.

Best regards,

	Christian

Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48    Fax: +49-271-771091-19
D-57072 Siegen
http://www.kernelconcepts.de/