Re: [Evolution-hackers] evolution-kolab: Lifting the veil

On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 13:01 -0400, Matthew Barnes wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 16:01 +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:
> > > If Evolution staff will be willing to host our project sources within
> > > Evo git repo, we'll happily transfer our stuff there as soon as we
> > > have a first preview ready.
> >
> > 	Perhaps something to dicuss on #evolution (irc.gimp.net) - but it'd be
> > great to have you working in the same git repo IMHO [ not that it's my
> > decision of course - I defer to Matthew/Chen etc. ;-]
>

> Certainly aim for hosting your project on git.gnome.org, but I'd still
> prefer it be split into a separate evolution-kolab repository similar to
> evolution-exchange, evolution-mapi, and soon evolution-groupwise (I'm
> told).  It just keeps things more modular and it keeps us honest: our
> public APIs -have- to be complete since external projects don't have
> access to private in-tree APIs.  The separation is not meant to be a
> barrier between you and us, just an implementation detail.
While thinking about this, I just got a thought of why not a,
evolution-collab-backends package which can hold all the eds
collborative backends (that provides mail+calendar+address-book) such as
mapi, exchange, groupwise with sufficient configuration options to
choose what to compile ? This would help in making the api changes to
all backends and keep external backends connected.

I support maintaining the backend code in a separate package though. Its
easier to provide updates to the backends if its not part of eds
at-least with some distros (at-least with suse as I use it).

- Chenthill.