Re: [Evolution-hackers] gcc 4.4 may be causing a number of bugs in Evolution

On Tue, 2010-02-02 at 15:21 -0500, Matthew Barnes wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-02-02 at 15:00 -0500, Paul Smith wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-02-02 at 14:30 -0500, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
> > > If you want to get warnings about the aliasing stuff, it seems that
> > > -Wstrict-aliasing=2 is the one you want.
> >
> > Yep, as Jeff points out GCC does provide warnings; in fact, -Wall
> > already includes -Wstrict-aliasing=3 which is the least aggressive
> > level.  Note this is another of those warnings (like variables used
> > before initialized) which only can be seen when you build with
> > optimization on.
> >
> > You should check the GCC docs for details before choosing a particular
> > value.  The problem is that these warnings can be false positives,
> > that's why there are different levels of aggressiveness.
>
> Ah, good, thank you both.
>
> I'll see what the different levels produce and maybe file some cleanup
> bugs about it.

Just another note (sorry!): annoyingly enough the warning is only active
if you have -fstrict-aliasing enabled.  So, if you've added
-fno-strict-aliasing by default, no one will see these warnings unless
they remove that flag even if you enable a higher -Wstrict-aliasing
level.