Re: [Evolution-hackers] any point in server side indices?

On Tue, 2009-09-08 at 19:56 -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> Cyrus has a facility to maintain indices on the server.
> Will such indices help evolution?

I believe that they will.  <http://www.go-evolution.org/Camel.Search>
certainly suggests that Evolution [Camel] utilizes IMAP SEARCH.  And I
search 100,000+ message folders and get results way to fast for
Evolution to have done the work itself.

>  I know it tends to build its own
> indices, and so suspect the server side indices are irrelevant (I think
> it takes an IMAP SEARCH command to access them).

I do not believe Evolution indexes the *content* of messages which is
what Cyrus SQUAT does.  And to do so Evolution would need to download
the entire contents of a mailbox - which can be ridiculous for many
mailboxes [due to both size and quantity of mailboxes].

Of course Beagle can index contents of messages but only if they are
stored locally.