Re: [Evolution-hackers] Own project / idea for Google summer of code 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-27 at 12:32 +0100, Pavol Srna wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to discuss my own project / idea for Google summer of
> code 2009 and if you are interested in, then I would like to find a
> potential mentor for this project.

> I am a daily user of GNOME desktop environment and I am missing
> useful, user-friendly synchronization support with the possibility of
> broader settings between Evolution (Calendar, phonebook etc.) and
> mobile devices (Nokia hand phones and so on) via bluetooth. I will
> introduce a plug-in for Evolution which can easily prepare the mobile
> device for synchronization, and which let the user set up a variety of
> synchronization settings and in really user-friendly way synchronizes
> all the required data in both directions.

There have been multiple solutions for this already. OpenSync,
SyncEvolution, GNOMEPilot, Conduits, [etc]. Part of these arent fully
there. Your project looks to me like an another new project in that
direction. New project is good, but its better to look at existing
frameworks and see how you can fill the gaps to make it the best. I
would suggest to read about these, ping those individual maintainers on
the details and propose a solution, that would be widely accepted.

HTH

-Srini