Re: [Evolution-hackers] Evolution doesn't honor LC_TIME (and other LC_ variables)

Hi all and sorry for self replying...

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 10:59:07 +0100, Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado dixit:
> Since Evolution uses gettext to get the appropriate format strings for
> "strftime", no matter what you say on your LC_TIME, you only get the
> date and time information properly formatted for your language if you
> set LANG (or LANGUAGE).
[...]
> I'm not sure about which solution is best, and probably the "%x"
> solution is easier and will do the right job. If that's the case, I
> can try to change the sources so strftime uses "%x" and not hardcoded
> combinations of "%d" and "%m".

I finally got some spare time to prepare the patch, and while looking at
the sources I noticed that at times the year is selectively not printed,
leaving only "%a %d %b" instead of "%a %d %b %Y" in some places. Since
the idea was to use "%x" instead, it would be impossible to strip the
year. This mean that the needed changes will be more intrusive than just
changing some strftime format strings from "_(whatever)" to "%x".

The first file affected by this is "a11y/calendar/ea-gnome-calendar.c",
but there are probably more occurences of this problem in other files.

Since I'm no longer using Evolution I'm no longer motivated to make such
intrusive changes, specially because I don't know if such changes would
be accepted: they are not making a cosmethic modification, but they
would modify the logic of the program; not heavily, but not trivially
either. Probably 80% of the problem can be fixed without modifying the
logic, but I don't like to make partial fixes.

If anyone is interested in fixing this issue, I can provide the list of
affected files and some guidelines.

See http://bugzilla.gnome.org, bug number 336253, for details about the
problem, and this thread for information about the fix.

Sorry for not being of much help, I should have checked the details much
earlier, but I was very busy.

We are waiting for 13 Feb 2009 23:31:30 +0000 ...