Re: [Evolution-hackers] Evolution: Taking forward...

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 04:21 -0600, Srinivasa Ragavan wrote:
> * The current licensing incompatibility issues of Evolution with
> Samba4/libmapi (GPLv3). Evolution needs to link with libmapi/samba4
> for the new mapi based connector being developed for Exchange 2007.

[...]

> * Move Evolution licensing to  "LGPL v2 and LGPL v3" to let us re-use
> the code more easily around the platform.

Did you mean LGPLv2 _or_ LGPLv3 here?

Anyway, I am not familiar with libmapi, but it does indeed seem to be
(what is commonly referred to as) a library that is licensed under the
GPLv3. According to the FSF you can't release a project under the LGPLv2
or LGPLv3 if you want to use a library under GPLv3. You'll have to
convert your LGPLv2 or LGPLv3 code to the GPLv3 [1]. So, if I'm reading
your plan and the FSF GPL faq correctly, your plan wouldn't work (as far
as libmapi is concerned).

Am I reading your plan and the faq correctly?

Regards,

Paul Bolle

[1] http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#AllCompatibility