Re: [Evolution-hackers] GMail IMAP support in Evolution

On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 17:01 +0530, Srinivasa Ragavan wrote:
> Hi �stein
>
> On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 13:11 +0200, �stein Gisn�wrote:
> > Google seem to be in the process of introducing IMAP support to GMail
> > [1]. Personally I think GMail offers an extremely attractive email
> > solution by now. Evolution does already support integration with GMail
> > via SMTP and POP, and now also via IMAP. In addition to following the
> > IMAP standards as closely as possible,

I agree here. I think we (Evolution team, although I'm not part of that,
strictly speaking) should put a lot more effort in getting the best out
of the latest IMAP standards.

A lot of IMAP servers are also improving a lot lately, and are
implementing these newer things.

CONDSTORE, QRESYNC, IDLE, NOTIFY are samples of very interesting IMAP
enhancements that we should support in my opinion.

I also think that taking a look at spruce and GMime is a good idea for
this. Although improving Camel's IMAP4 provider is not a bad idea
either.

The current Camel IMAP provider is limited in what we can make it do. I
would, for example, love to have a solid client-side library that does
pipelining with the IMAP server.

Marrying the MIME handling with the server, for things like CATENATE, is
also something I would love to have.

Oh ... I have a lot of ideas :)

> I think we should do explicit
> > QA on Evolution-GMail IMAP integration, to make sure our users'
> > experience is as good as possible. One of the slashdot comments has
> > already commented that Outlook works better with GMail IMAP than
> > Evolution. That should change!
>
> It will change with 2.22. We are bringing down nice things down from
> camel-lite to upstream camel and also doing nice things here as well.

Note that I will attend a Lemonade meeting in Munich next month. If
there are any items that I should raise for Evolution, you can let me
know about them.

I of course have a small list myself already.

--
Philip Van Hoof, software developer
home: me at pvanhoof dot be