Re: [Evolution-hackers] comma-separation of event CATEGORIES

Hi Patrick,
On Sun, 2007-06-24 at 18:28 +0200, Patrick Ohly wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I got a report that SyncEvolution does not handle CATEGORIES correctly
> in ical 2.0 events when multiple categories are specified. It turned out
> that Evolution or more likely, libical, import/export such events with
> the comma separator escaped like this:
>   CATEGORIES:Anniversary\,Holiday
>
> RFC 2445 specifies CATEGORIES with a normal comma as separator and gives
> this example:
>   CATEGORIES:APPOINTMENT,EDUCATION
>
> When importing such an event, Evolution stores it with two different
> category properties and then only uses the later one in the GUI:
>   CATEGORIES:APPOINTMENT
>   CATEGORIES:EDUCATION
>
> At first glance there doesn't seem to be an open bug related to this; it
> still happens with Evolution 2.10. I will open a bug and investigate
> further, but let me bring up some points here first:
>       * I suppose right now Evolution continues to use its own libical.
>         Are there plans to synchronize with upstream (whathever that is
>         at the moment)?
Evolution-2.10 uses the libical from the stable branch. Evolution-2.12
would use the libical from svn HEAD. Evolution does not own a separate
libical.
>       * Any bug fix for this should be backwards compatible and treat \,
>         just like a normal comma because all existing .ics files will
>         continue to contain \, and I would like to add a hack to
>         SyncEvolution which converts between \, and , to work around the
>         issue in existing Evolution versions.

The bug is in libical and any fix made there would be done so that its
backward compatible.