Re: [Evolution-hackers] Closing a NSS connection

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 13:53 +0100, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> I don't think just doing a PR_Close is sufficient. I think you need to
> do a PR_Shutdown too. GMail's IMAP server, for example, after pressing
> really often connect-disconnect, will otherwise ban you from authent-
> icating for a few minutes.
>
> I think this patch can be 1:1 applied to upstream Camel.
>
> http://tinymail.org/trac/tinymail/changeset/3135

Yeah, I think Philip's right.  The NSPR API documentation for PR_Close
[1] and PR_Shutdown [2] is not very helpful, but I did manage to find
this:

        Once the exchange has been accomplished, the transport is shut
        down with a call to PR_Shutdown, as shown in line 106. This
        operation effectively disables any further use of the file
        descriptor for anything other than closing it. The call to
        PR_Shutdown does not, however, eliminate the need to close the
        descriptor. The call to PR_Close is in main() (the creator the
        the TCP stream) and is required to reclaim the resources used by
        the runtime to support the connection.  [3]

So I'll commit this for 2.21.4.

Matthew Barnes

[1] http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/PR_Close
[2] http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/PR_Shutdown