[Evolution-hackers] A proposal to remove version number in installed directories of Evolution, and to rename ximian-connector-setup

hi, Harish and Evolution hackers

Our first concern here is: We notice that there are several
versioned-directories installed by Evolution in /usr/include, /usr/lib
and /usr/share,
like /usr/lib/evolution-data-server-1.2, /usr/include/evolution-2.6. We
understand that this is thus designed to accommodate coexistence of
multiple version.

However, we think there is another possible solution to make coexistence
of multiple versions possible, and which is better as far as we are
concerned. Like what we have done with the evolution libs in /usr/lib
(they are all put in to /usr/lib/evolution/$version-number instead
of /usr/lib/evolution-$version-number). In this way, all this files can
be placed in directories that easily get cluttered.

For example, in our opinion this is good:

   /usr/share/evolution/1.x/
   /usr/share/evolution/2.x/

This is bad

   /usr/share/evolution-1.x
   /usr/share/evolution-2.x

It is bad because this clutters up a directory (/usr/share) that many
different projects install to.  If a project installs version numbered
stuff, they should install it to private locations that are specific
to the application (such as /usr/share/evolution).

We'd appreciate comments on this proposal.

The second proposal we'd like to put forward here is that: shouldn't it
be better if we rename the existing ximian-connector-setup to be
exchange-connector-setup, which makes more sense to the users?

If you are OK with this proposals, I would be happy to provide patches.

Thanks

--Irene