Re: [Evolution-hackers] Memory consumption and virtual machines

On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 08:57 +0000, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> The lovely smell of programming environment flame wars!
>
> Part one ....
>
> As the developer of an application that has an extremely high focus on
> reduced memory consumption and as the author of a patch for Camel that
> reduced Evolutions memory footprint with ~40 MB (maybe more, but that
> number I'm certain of) . . .
>
> Take for example Evolution. Using ONE WEEK of hacking, I managed to
> reduce its memory footprint with at least 40 MB of ram.

I don't know how many times I need to repeat, because, this keeps coming
in lot different threads and I see no progress to make the patch
complete.  Yes, I agree, the patch does reduce *STARTUP-MEMORY-FOOT
PRINT* of Evolution as mentioned by Federico in his blog, however, it is
*as of now* just-a-hack that the Evolution team cannot take it *as is*.

Phillip, as you keep saying the patch needs rework before considering
upstream, when are we going to get it?  Will the final-patch addresses
all the concerns raised by me and Fejj?  Guess, you are aware of the
GNOME release cycle and API freeze dates.

V. Varadhan

 Novell, Inc.
Software for the Open Enterprise™
http://www.novell.com