Re: [Evolution-hackers] Multiple calendars

Hi Scott,

On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 16:27 -0700, Scott Herscher wrote:
> Hey all. I'm struggling to understand something that I think should be
> obvious.

I'll try a shot at an explanation below despite my very limited
knowledge...

> I'm writing a new e-cal backend, and it connects to a server that
> supports multiple calendars.  I get that when I create the account, my
> eplugin will query the server, learn about all the calendars, create
> one group and then create multiple sources (one for each calendar).
> But what happens after I've added the account?  What part of the
> evolution data server framework is responsible for monitoring if new
> calendars are added remotely, or calendars are delete remotely?

I think you should hide this in the implementation of your backend. The
gconf source will reflect an instance of a calendar as supported by your
backend.

You can choose to get all of the data in your different simultaneously
supported calendars and display it in one single calendar or you can
choose to created multible gconf sources, one for each remote calendar,
and display that data in different calendars.

My experience is that newly create gconf sources will show up almost
instantaneously in the calendar view, but I'm creating the sources in
the Camel provider, so my experiences might not be applicable to you.

>   Related to this first question...if I have multiple calendars and
> they all are individual e-sources, wouldn't they sync up to the server
> individually?  It seems like I'd want the e-group instance to initiate
> syncs, and then tell the individual e-sources what was added or
> deleted.  I'm sure I'm missing something here...I just don't know what
> it is yet.

Hmm - I'm not sure that I understand your question...

> Any help would be oh so greatly appreciated.

The usual answer is that you should look in the existing backends and
see what they do. Take a look into my Brutus backend too as it may
illuminate the problems in a different way.

Best regards,
  jules