Re: [Evolution-hackers] strtok camel from evolution-data-server

On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 23:47 +0400, Mikhail Zabaluev wrote:
> В Чтв, 06/07/2006 в 21:23 +0200, Philip Van Hoof пишет:

> > Tinymail depends on Camel. Camel gets shipped with e-d-s. Tinymail
> > doesn't use *any* of the other e-d-s softwares, libraries nor its data.
>
> I don't see a problem; you can always split the e-d-s install into
> several packages. For RPM this is just about trivial (mind your
> dependencies though), and I believe it's the same for deb.
> I do such splits, e.g. when individual libraries or plugins in the
> installation list have outstanding dependencies.
>
> > Hacks like packaging tricks:
> > ----------------------------
> >
> > I AM NOT going to require packaging tricks. Packaging tricks are hacks.
>
> Packaging is a normal practice as long as you do it correctly.

Yes sure. But packaging is often specific for all devices. There's
mostly also no e-d-s nor camel packages for the target device. So
developers basically have to do all this dirty work themselves.

The very idea of tinymail, however, is to hide all these dirty camel
details away for the developers. Even if they don't want to use
packages.

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
work: vanhoof at x-tend dot be