Re: [Evolution-hackers] Evolution Feed Reader Support

Hi Andrew,

I had seen the brainread code quite a long time back. From what i remember, it was a sample code, made to prove how easy it was to have shell components implemented in Evolution.

Evolution currently has 4 [ rather 5 ], shell components : viz., mail,addressbook, calendar and tasks [ and another one being exchange ]. Addressbook, calendar and tasks use e-d-s as a backend store for their data types. Mailer has a separate store which it implements on its own using the camel apis. Exchange just morphs all these together.

For brainread data, i suppose you will have to follow the mailer way of implement your own data store. Probably you could use a xmldoc parser to store all the data in xml files under a particular directory in $HOME/.evolution.

Ofcourse, more thoughts can be added to this, but i hope that this clarifies the point that e-d-s is currently not the place where you want to store brain-read data, unless you add a new brain-read data-store implementation to e-d-s, which the existing shell component would treat as a backend to store the info.

HTH
-- Sarfraaz

Andrew Case wrote:

Hey all,

I'm working on the component previously known as "brainread" (from
evolution 1.x).  It's a feed aggregator for evolution.  Forgive me if
I'm off base at all here.  I've only been working on evolution a couple
of months now and it's a very large system to try and learn.  So let me
know if I'm completely off base.  Anyway, right now I'm just storing
each feed's information in gconf, which is really hideous and is just a
hack to get around the fact that EDS's backend isn't really designed to
hold general data... to my understanding.   Anyway, I guess I want to
know what people's opinions are on the best way to store this.  Should I
really be looking at building a new backend into the eds architecture?
Can an EBook or Calendar architecture store general data types?  I just
have really little clue about EDS backends.  Anyway, the data I'll want
to store eventually are things like: feed name, update interval, type of
source, location of source, authentication information, etc.  Obviously
gconf isn't the place to store this, and right now I'm just storing a
huge concated string of all the sources(feeds) I'm using.  Anyway,
whatever help being pointed in the right direction would help.

Dev Screenshot: http://node7.org/files/user_files/darkfrog/evo_feeds.png

--
Andrew Case
case andrew gmail com