[Evolution-hackers] Debugging messages in Evolution

What is the policy on using g_debug() in Evolution code?

Is it discouraged?  Is there an alternate API that I should be using?

I'm working on a patch for an Evolution plug-in and would like to add
debugging messages at key places in the logic.  Normally I would use the
logging facilities provided by GLib, but Evolution does not seem to
provide a mechanism for turning on and off g_debug() messages.  They are
always displayed in the terminal.

On a related note, Evolution's --debug command-line option seems a bit
hokey to me.  I would expect debug-level messages to be turned OFF
unless this option is explicitly given.  If the user needs to redirect
messages to a file, he/she should use the facilities provided by the
shell.  e.g. evolution --debug > log 2>&1

Perhaps I'm making too many assumptions about Evolution's design.

Thanks,
Matthew Barnes