Re: [Evolution-hackers] [Camel] Folder names

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 22:06 +0800, Not Zed wrote:
> The full-name is a / separated name, but it doesn't start with /.  i.e.
> you might have a folderinfo like:
>
> fi = {
> 	.name = "evolution";
> 	.full_name = "Inbox/evolution";
> };

So when a folder name is given as a parameter to a method, then it is
the full_name that is given?

> full_name's last path component will relate to the .name -> but may also
> be translated for different languages (it is up to the backend to do
> this).  It is never used to calculate any backend paths, only the
> full_name is.
>
> So, because of this, the full_name could be completely separated from
> the display name, it just has to have the right number of levels in it,
> and it has to be persistent.
>
> i.e. you could probably just use the 'entryid' directly (i'm assuming it
> is a persistent unique identifier)

It is.

> , or add it to the path component, or
> do fat-style munging.  Or you could use a different top-level namespace.
> The only problem with this is cosmetic - the full_name is often used
> when displaying folder paths in various places, so a purely numerical
> path may look strange.

It certainly would. Does any upper-level component do any string
manipulation with the full name? My idea is to put the entryid at the
end of the full name and separate the full name readable part from the
entryid part with '\0'. Something like (non-compilable short-hand):

fi = {
	.name = "evolution";
	.full_name = "Inbox/evolution'\0'b7d33043-cfb0-4ea9-8aa1-941b0616e891";
};

Would that wreck havoc up-source?

Thanks,
  jules