Re: Gnome-Bounties - Conversations - Was [Re: [Evolution-hackers] Re: [Evolution] proper threading headers]

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 14:03 -0400, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 10:35 -0400, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
> > >  (Frankly I've not used Gmail, but I think its
> > > conversation implementation is much like a mail-list where one's
> > replies
> > > to posts is also included in the conversation and not only in the
> > sent
> > > folder?)
> >
> > I have no idea how to describe what gmail does... I guess something
> > like
> > that, sure.
>
> Gmail doesn't use folders. It tags each message with 0 or more labels
> (slightly similar to Evo's vfolders except AFAIK they don't update
> dynamically). Messages are stored in Google's database and viewing sets
> of them is essentially a database View, selecting on the labels. I think
> the conversation concept is very useful BTW, and I've often thought it
> would a nice feature in other MUAs.

All the raves I've heard mentioned that Gmail doesn't do dynamic or
rather server-side.. All is client-side and no need to contact server.

Must really find a use for my Gmail acc. (but since I prefer all my
emails in my laptop.. that's tough)

--
Ow Mun Heng
98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!