Re: Gnome-Bounties - Conversations - Was [Re: [Evolution-hackers] Re: [Evolution] proper threading headers]

On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 10:58 +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> > > replies
> > > sent
> > >
> > > I have no idea how to describe what gmail does... I guess something
> > > like
> > > that, sure.
> >
> > Gmail doesn't use folders. It tags each message with 0 or more labels
> > (slightly similar to Evo's vfolders except AFAIK they don't update
> > dynamically). Messages are stored in Google's database and viewing sets
> > of them is essentially a database View, selecting on the labels. I think
> > the conversation concept is very useful BTW, and I've often thought it
> > would a nice feature in other MUAs.
>
> All the raves I've heard mentioned that Gmail doesn't do dynamic or
> rather server-side.. All is client-side and no need to contact server.

It obviously can't be *all* client-side. Gmail uses clever javascripting
and local caching to give very fast response to common operations like
starting a reply, marking messages etc. When it does need to synch with
the server this is usually asynchronous with the UI and hence invisible
to the user. Google Maps uses similar ideas. In fact someone has now
given the technique a name: AJAX (Asynchronous Javascript And XML), so
we can all learn a new buzzword :-)

> Must really find a use for my Gmail acc. (but since I prefer all my
> emails in my laptop.. that's tough)

I prefer not to have them all in one place where I can lose them, but
tastes vary.

poc