Re: [Evolution-hackers] auto responder with attachments

> im looking to find a way to creat a auto reply feature based on filter
> settings in evolution.  the auto reply must have attachments for my
> clinet who will be sending the request.  has any one done this or
> someone know how to create this feature.

Unless you actually plan on implementing a feature like this, the
evolution mailing list [1] would be the right place to ask. This list is
dedicated to Evolution development.

Anyway, basically there is no auto responder feature in Evolution. The
one that comes closest probably is the "Pipe to Program" action in the
Filters. The actual "responding" (rewriting the source mail, sending,
doing any stuff) is the externally called programs duty.

As Filters are applied only at Evolutions runtime, this doesn't make a
lot of sense anyway. You'll have to be logged in and have Evolution
running / periodically fetching mails -- the whole time you're actually
unavailable...

Somewhere at your (local) mail processing chain, like a local MTA, is a
better place to integrate automated responses. 'procmail' for example,
called by your local MTA as a delivery agent has this capability -- and
even the examples [2] mention how to implement this in a sane way and
dealing with "mail loops" and stuff. 'vacation' is another well known
example. (With a little bit of testing, both should be usable as
external program used by the Evo Filters as described above.)

At any rate, whatever solution you'll implement: Please prevent
auto-responses to mailing lists. I yet again got one of those brain-dead
messages just a couple of hours ago...

HTH

...guenther