Re: [Evolution-hackers] Language selection in composer

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 20:42 +0200, Jan Krčál wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to implement this feature (bug #127530)

there is no such bug # that I can find. the bug numbers only go up to
~68000 afaik.

>  and I've got some essential questions that aren't related to any
> component, so I don't know, who should I address...
>
> First of all, how can I retrieve the list of all languages available
> to the user? Should it be that languages that have evolution
> localization available (How can I determine which languages have
> evolution l10n? Should I go through $prefix/share/locale/ and find
> evolution-1.5.mo?) Or should it be just all languages that are defined
> in ISO 639 (Is there any other way than to hardcode it, than?).
> It seems usefull to have names of all languages localized to all
> languages (because evolution needs to show a list of available
> languages to the user). How can I get this?

what does this list of languages supposed to provide? other than "ooh,
look. I have a menu dingus that I can click"

without knowing what this language info will *actually* be used for, I
can't help you...

(the only language thing I can think of that'd be useful to have in the
composer would be for providing hints in constructing the MIME message
where there are numerous charset encodings that the strings could be
encoded in - but generally these are limited to asian and cyrillic
afaik)

> Second, I need to get strings from different locales (because of
> changing those "On DATE, PERSON wrote:" labels).

we plan to make this user-configurable, and not based on locale (altho
currently it is based on the string the translator provides for your
locale)

>  Should I do it using setlocale() before and after obtaining that
> strings, or any other way?

no, do not do this.

anyways, I have no idea what you are trying to solve so I can't really
help you.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Stedfast