Re: [Evolution-hackers] Integration of ximian-connector-setup with mail configuration for Exchange connector

Not Zed wrote:

Michael, Jeff, Surf, Other Mail people -- what do you guys think about having a "Server Type" page first in the druid, before the identity page. The page would be something like this:

"What type of account do you want to add?"

<radio button>IMAP
<radio button>POP
<radio button>Exchange
<radio button>Groupwise

etc.

The advantage of doing it this way is that if we us radio buttons instead of an option menu, we can list all of the account types so that they are visible without needing to expand the option menu. Also, this would prevent us from needing to put something on the "Identity" page which is not strictly related to identity.

Yeah, i think its a good idea to have a separate page for server type alone, and not have it clubbed with the Identity page [ for the reasons you said above ].

The only real problem here is that there may be many different account types, or not many at all. It is a dynamic list based on the installation, so if you have too many there it could become unwieldy. Perhaps a list with a description below or next to it would be better?

Hmm, at first even i felt that having so many radio buttons would mess up the page, but when i tried it out on a rough page, it didnt quite look that ugly. I am not sure if these radio buttons can be added-on on the fly though :-( . I dont know how a list would look like, but yes, we need to find a way to list the server types and also their descriptions together. We also need to note that the user's operation on this page would be to just select one of these server types and do nothing else. I made a small mock-up [ very crude ] of how the server-type page would look like with about 12 server types. The upper half of this page would have the list of servers and the bottom half would have a dynamically generated desription label. It thing it doesnt look that bad :-). It might be look a bit empty with fewer options, but then it would be just the same way as we have the page for say, "maildir-format" server type account.

Thanks
-- Sarfraaz

--
	*Michael Zucchi* <notzed ximian com <mailto:notzed ximian com>>
/"Evolution - Mostly Practiced By Dumb People"/

PNG image