Re: [Evolution-hackers] online/offline in e-d-s

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 18:09 -0500, David Malcolm wrote:
On Sun, 2004-11-07 at 21:29 -0700, Sivaiah Nallagatla wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking at supporting online/offline modes in e-d-s for evolution
> 2.2 release. Currently we have offline support only in mailer and the
> mechansim for switching between modes is by clicking on a widget. We
> want to listen to a desktop wide offline setting if possible in this
> release. That may be using  a gconf setting or dbus notification,
> currently nothing exists as far as i know. There has been discussions
> on d-d-l about gnome wide offline
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2004-July/msg00111.html,
> but not sure how far it is gone. The idea is to make  e-d-s  listen to
> this setting and  put all the backends in offline mode  and inform all
> backend  clients about the change in the state,  instead of evolution
> setting the modes on the backend using ECal or EBook apis.
>
> I am describing what i am planning to do below . Please give your
> suggestions  comments , betters way to do it , or tell me if what i am
> thinking   just not going to work :-)
>
> I am planning to implement a eds-offline-listner which listens to a
> gconf key to get to know of online/offline changes (this gconf will a
> desktop wide one if one gets implemented or if we resort to using some
> gui element in evolution to set online/offline modes , it will be a
> gconf key installed by e-d-s). This listner will be instantiated in

So is online/offline a per-user property? a per-machine property? Both?

GConf is for per-user preferences.  If I've got an NFS-mounted home
directory shared between several machines, each sharing the same GConf
database, do the machines have to go online/offline simultaneously when
the state changes?

Umm, i really really don't imagine a nfs-connected machine ever needs to go offline.  It would only ever make sense for a luser desktop with a modem or a laptop.

--
Michael Zucchi <notzed ximian com>
"I'm stuck in a reality I can't imagine could be real."