Re: [Evolution-hackers] LDAP write support (was: Old thoughts on the "self" contact)

On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 00:40, Chris Toshok wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-02-28 at 22:10, Craig Ringer wrote:
>
> Unfortunately it's not this easy.. [snip]

Thanks for the explanation - that's much appreciated. It mightn't hurt
to add something to that effect to the two bugs I cited, in case others
are looking into this in future.

It does sound like quite a bit of work for something that's likely to be
a less-used feature (especially as Evolution's compatibility with
dedicated groupware servers grows).

> If you've installed the evolutionperson.schema, you'll have write access
> to the "File As" field, and can set it to be whatever you want.

Indeed; I just spotted that in one of the bug reports. This could do
with being noted in the documentation, along with the read-only
correction. Something like "To improve the support for LDAP
addressbooks, your admin will need to install the evolutionperson.schema
file into the LDAP server." with a how-to like

"With OpenLDAP, installing the evolutionperson.schema is quite simple.
In your LDAP configuration directory - probably /etc/ldap or
/etc/openldap - you'll find a subdirectory called 'schema'. Copy the
file to there. Now, open slapd.conf and add an entry at the top like
this:

include         /etc/ldap/schema/evolutionperson.schema

and restart slapd. If you have other servers acting as replicas for this
one, you should probably install the schema on them as well.
"

Craig Ringer