[Evolution-hackers] Re: [Fwd: evolution / LDAP / Exchange / Groupwise integration ...]

Hi Frank,

On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 16:25, Frank Schönheit wrote:
> > As the
> > glib integration is already in OpenOffice there doesnt seem to much
> > problem in linking evo-data-server/Orbit and dependent components
> > and calling the apis, hopefully ;-) .
>
> Hmm. Linking OOo libraries with foreign components which are *not*
> shipped together with OOo is something I would like to avoid, if
> possible by any means. This would be quite unusual for OOo, IMO.

	Right; - I think the best way here is to proceed as was done for the
old-style gtk+ stuff; ie. a mess. You'll need to check-in binary builds
of the component - or include glib, ORBit2 and evolution-data-server in
your build [ unattractive I suspect ;-], but better than the mozilla
situation.

> So can we define "linking" as "load dynamically on demand" here?

	Since the connectivity data source has to be dlopen'd as an UNO
component - surely it's best for that to just fail rather than for it to
succeed, and a subsequent dlopen of random system stuff to fail ?

	Of course - if we discover we're only using ~10 symbols or so to do the
work, then perhaps this would make sense; I'm highly opposed to hooking
more symbols than that via. dlopen though.

	Either way - clearly the first approach must be to get it functional
which we can do by direct linkage in the normal way.

	Regards,

		Michael.

--
 michael ximian com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot